Hyderabad, the city of pearls is well known for so many monuments which also includes Charminar and the fort of Golconda. Be it the monuments from Qutb Shahi and Nizam era or the churches built by the British during the colonial-era, Hyderabad is the place of so many heritages.
Secunderabad was established as the new British cantonment in 1806/7 after the Treaty of Subsidiary Alliance signed between the Nizams and the British. The St. John’s church in Secunderabad is one of the most interesting monuments. The St. John’s church was built for British soldiers at that time and is the first major landmark.
Secunderabad didn’t used to have so many residents back then. Some British soldiers and some Tamilians who had been working for them used to live there. They were called ‘camp followers’. Most of the British era churches in Hyderabad have classic revival or Gothic architecture. But, the St. John’s church was designed in Tuscan architecture. St. John’s Church is the only church that has a functioning pipe organ which is a huge musical instrument used for the Sunday service.
The treaty of Subsidiary Alliance is to ensure that the British have to provide armed assistance to the Nizams. The place was named after Sikander-Jah, the 3rd Nizam. Interestingly, the British soldiers weren’t allowed to bring their weapons inside the church until the first war of independence in 1857. However, as some locals have stolen the guns, the rule got changed.